A British man was killed while ringing in the New Year in Thailand after a firework exploded in his face.
50-year-old Gary McLaren was ringing in the New Year with his Thai fiancee and friends at the party resort of Pattaya, eastern Thailand, on December 31 when the incident occurred.
Mr. McLaren from Corby, Northamptonshire was said to have been partying at the Miami A Go-Go bar before stepping outside and trying to light a 50cm cardboard tube packed with fireworks.
Eyewitnesses said he failed in his initial attempts to light the fireworks, but succeeded on a second attempt, causing smoke to pour out of the tube before fireworks then exploded in his face, knocking him to the ground.
When police and medics got to the scene they found him laying on the ground with bloody wounds on his face. The man was later pronounced dead at the scene after chest compressions were performed on him.
In one photo from the scene, Mr. McLaren’s partner, Jasmine was pictured weeping and hugging his lifeless body.
She later took to Facebook to mourn his death, saying: ‘This is [our] last picture honey, you will be in my heart forever babe. RIP Gary McLaren.’
Rod Parsons added: ‘RIP my brother Gary McLaren
‘You were like a brother to me & I’ll always be forever grateful plus in your debt for everything you’ve done for me and my son Corey Parsons.
‘Rest in total peace my bro but you’ve been taken from us way way too early. Love ya buddy.’
Police Captain Nakhonrat Nontseelard said the British Embassy in Bangkok has been informed of the death.
Watch the video below.