Victor Osimhen has officially joined Serie A side Napoli from Lille as the club finally unveiled him on Friday, July 31, after several weeks of speculation.
Osimhen who spent just 12 months with Les Dogues, joins Napoli on a 5-year contract, with the option to extend that deal by a further sixth year.
The Nigerian striker joined the Neapolitan outfit for an initial €71.2 million but a further €10.1 million is guaranteed in add-ons, taking the overall fee to €81.3 million ($96m) as reported by French newspaper L’Equipe.
It surpasses the £72 million Arsenal paid to land Nicolas Pepe who Osimhen replaced in Lille’s attack last season.
Victor Osimhen's reported fee makes him the most expensive African signing in history 🦅🇳🇬 pic.twitter.com/7maQak7Nrk
— B/R Football (@brfootball) July 31, 2020
Osimhen will earn between €4 million and €5.5 million a year net without bonuses in Napoli – a huge wage increase from the €80,000 he was collecting monthly in France.
While former club Charleroi will receive €7 million from the transfer as a result of a sell-on percentage clause they inserted when he departed last summer.
Osimhen’s transfer to Napoli makes him the most expensive African player ever and We have now compiled a list of the top 10 most expensive African signings in history.
1. Victor Osimhen – Lille to Napoli in 2020, $96m (reported fee includes bonuses)
2. Nicolas Pepe – Lille to Arsenal in 2019, $94m (reported fee includes bonuses)
3. Cédric Bakambu – Villarreal to Beijing Guoan in 2018, $83m (reported fee includes bonuses)
4. Riyad Mahrez – Leicester City to Manchester City in 2018, $76m (reported fee includes bonuses)
5. Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang – Borussia Dortmund to Arsenal in 2018, $71m (reported fee includes bonuses)
6. Naby Keita – Leipzig to Liverpool in 2018, $64m (reported fee includes bonuses)
7. Achraf Hakimi – Borussia Dortmund to Inter Milan in 2020, $53m (reported fee includes bonuses)
8. Mo Salah – Roma to Liverpool in 2017, $44.5m (reported fee includes bonuses)
9. Hakim Ziyech – Ajax to Chelsea in 2020, $43.5m (reported fee includes bonuses)
10. Sadio Mane – Southampton to Liverpool in 2016, $42.5m (reported fee includes bonuses)